School for Advanced Studies
SAS Qualifications and Choices Application
SAS applicants must meet at a minimum one of three eligibility criteria: FOR AN APPLICANT TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR SCHOOLS FOR ADVANCED STUDIES, THE STUDENT MUST BE VERIFIED AS MEETING ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA PRIOR TO FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2022, AT 5:00 P.M.
- Student is identified as gifted by a Los Angeles Unified designated GATE psychologist in the Intellectual Ability, High Achievement Ability, Specific Academic Ability, Creative Ability or Leadership Ability category. OR
- Student scored in the Standard Exceeded range on the 2022 Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) or received a national percentile score of 85% or above on a District-approved standardized norm-referenced test in both English Language Arts and Mathematics (most recent year only). See Verification of Eligibility form for qualifying subtests. OR
- Student demonstrates the ability to meet ALL FOUR critical thinking and problem-solving skills (in primary language):
- Explain meanings or relationships among facts, information or concepts that demonstrate depth and complexity.
- Formulate new ideas or solutions and elaborate on the information.
- Use alternative methods in approaching new or unfamiliar mathematical problems.
- Use extensive vocabulary easily and accurately to express creative ideas
How are Students Selected?
SAS applicants who meet eligibility criteria and who reside outside school boundaries, but within Los Angeles Unified boundaries, may be selected for participation after students residing within the boundaries of a designated SAS site are accommodated. If spaces are available, a selection process for qualifying SAS applicants will be conducted in this order:
- Siblings residing within Los Angeles Unified boundaries (must meet SAS eligibility criteria)
- Students residing within Los Angeles Unified boundaries (must meet SAS eligibility criteria)
If there are more qualified applicants than spaces available at the school, a random, unbiased selection process will be conducted. Siblings of current students in the same school/program have priority for attendance so long as resident students are not displaced. There is no priority point accrual process for Schools for Advanced Studies. Priority points are used by the Magnet Program only.
Choices On-Time Application for the 2023-2024 School Year (Oct. 3 - Nov. 18, 2022):
Please note that the on-time Choices application period has closed.
The on-time 2023-2024 Choices SAS application period will be available from October 3 - November 18, 2022. No formal application is required for qualified students residing within school boundaries since SAS is the school site's GATE instructional program for its students. (Contact the school directly for more information.) Students who reside within L.A. Unified boundaries but outside the site's residential boundaries may apply through the Choices process. To apply to an SAS site for the 2023-2024 school year, the parent/guardian may complete the Choices application online at GoTo.LAUSD.net. The Choices brochure contains the paper application for SAS sites and is available October 3, 2022 at every school, Local District, Community of Schools and Parent Community Services office. The application and verification form, if applicable, are due November 18, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
Choices Late Application for the 2023-2024 School Year (Available beginning February 1, 2023):
To apply to an SAS site for the 2023-2024 school year after the on-time deadline, the parent/guardian may complete a late application online at GoTo.LAUSD.net or using the paper application in the Choices brochure. The late paper application may also be downloaded from the GoTo.LAUSD.net website. A late application may be submitted any time from February 1, 2023, through the fourth week of the 2023-2024 school year. The Verification of Eligibility for students applying to a Gifted Magnet or SAS site during the late application period will be processed at the school site. School site personnel will contact the applicant if/when a space becomes available and verification is needed. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian of private school, independent charter and non-L.A. Unified students to ensure that the completed Verification of Eligibility form is submitted to the SAS site directly, if/when selected.
The wisest mind has something yet to learn."
– George Santayana
SAMPLE COURSE PROGRESSION
COLLEGE READY. CAREER READY. READY FOR THE WORLD
Our graduates continue their studies at some of the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country.